Friday 4 April 2025
 6.2°C   NE Moderate Breeze
Ocean Kinetics - The Engineering Experts

Transport / MSP’s ferry pod safety concern in an ‘age of increasing misogyny’

NorthLink passenger ferry Hjaltland berthing at Holmsgarth. Photo: Shetland News

SHETLAND’S MSP has called for NorthLink to take urgent action after further allegations of intimidating behaviour towards women in its ferry pod lounge.

In one reported incident, a woman is said to have woken up to find a man standing over her teenage daughter “making gestures that would indicate he wanted to shoot her”.

The alleged incident has been raised by Beatrice Wishart, who has written to Scottish transport secretary Fiona Hyslop about safety concerns in the pod lounges on board the Hjaltland and Hrossey.

Wishart said in an “age of increasing misogyny and aggression towards women the Scottish Government cannot ignore what it is being told about women’s safety”.

It comes after some people spoke out about feeling unsafe, including a woman who told Shetland News that she would not use them again.

Wishart referenced that very incident, and wrote she is yet to receive a “clear explanation” as to why safety was used as a reason for the removal of shared cabins a few years ago.

The MSP said women are “experiencing frightening incidents in the pod rooms”.

“The lack of the shared cabin option impacts on cabin availability for islanders, as it results in situations in which a single traveller must book a cabin which has space for multiple people,” Wishart concluded.

Shetland MSP Beatrice Wishart. Photo: Shetland News.

“A shared cabin is not an option that everyone would take up but it is a policy that was in place for decades and helped to reduce the cost of passage for many.

“The situation is untenable for my constituents who rely on the lifeline service and it must be addressed.”

Wishart has also repeated calls for changes to the Northern Isles ferry service – which is contracted out by the Scottish Government to Serco NorthLink – including the reintroduction of shared cabins and a rolling booking system.

Become a member of Shetland News

 

Last month she lodged a series of written questions to the Scottish Government about the Northern Isles ferry service, and what requirements it might stipulate in the next contract in line with passenger requests.

This included the return of shared cabins, the end of “cliff edge” dates for bookings and a rolling booking system open to passengers.

Responses cited that preparatory work is now underway for the next Northern Isles ferry service contract but this remains at an early stage.

They appeared to confirm there continues to be no plans to bring back shared cabins.

Hyslop also said she “fully appreciates the need to get bookings released in good time so that businesses and individuals can plan ahead”.

“The Northern Isles Ferry Services contract stipulates that the May CPI rate, which is normally published in June, is used as the basis for the following year’s fares increase together with any other cost pressures such as energy and staff wage increase,” she added in her response to Wishart.

“We will aim to confirm fares as soon as possible thereafter to allow bookings to be opened as early as possible.”

Hyslop added that the current contract, held by Serco NorthLink, is due to expire on 30 June 2028.

“Preparatory work to deliver the next generation of these services remains at an early stage,” she added.

This will also consider how the booking system can be operated to “maximise flexibility for customers”.

Wishart said: “There is certainly a feeling of frustration in the isles that transport to and from the islands is no longer seen by the Scottish Government as a lifeline service as the request of islanders seem to be repeatedly ignored.

“The view from the isles is clear – shared cabins should be an option for passengers. This is not an option that everyone would take up but it is a policy that was in place for many years and helped to reduce the cost of passage for many.”

Wishart disputed the transport secretary’s use of the phrase “introduce shared cabins” as this was a policy previously established.

She added: “I have long called for a system that can ensure we end the ‘cliff edge’ booking system currently in place, such as a new rolling system.

“Passengers are inconvenienced by not being able to book a return trip over Christmas, the current last possible date to book being 31st December 2025.”

In response to safety of the pod lounges, NorthLink told Shetland News in September that the safety of its passengers and staff was its “absolute priority”.

A spokesperson said the company has “protocols in place” for dealing with disruptive situations.

They added: “All of our overnight passenger sailings have dedicated security personnel and we would encourage anyone who witnesses disruptive behaviour to bring it to our immediate attention.”

NorthLink has been asked for an updated response.

Become a member of Shetland News

Shetland News is asking its readers to consider paying for membership to get additional perks:

  • Removal of third-party ads;
  • Bookmark posts to read later;
  • Exclusive curated weekly newsletter;
  • Hide membership messages;
  • Comments open for discussion.

If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please become a member of Shetland News by either making a single payment, or setting up a monthly, quarterly or yearly subscription.

 
Advertisement 
Advertisement 
Advertisement 
Advertisement 
Advertisement 
Advertisement 

Newsletters

Subscribe to a selection of different newsletters from Shetland News, varying from breaking news delivered on the minute, to a weekly round-up of the opinion posts. All delivered straight to your inbox.

Daily Briefing Newsletter Weekly Highlights Newsletter Opinion Newsletter Life in Shetland Newsletter

JavaScript Required

We're sorry, but Shetland News isn't fully functional without JavaScript enabled.
Head over to the help page for instructions on how to enable JavaScript on your browser.

Your Privacy

We use cookies on our site to improve your experience.
By using our service, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy.

Browser is out-of-date

Shetland News isn't fully functional with this version of .
Head over to the help page for instructions on updating your browser for more security, improved speed and the best overall experience on this site.

Interested in Notifications?

Get notifications from Shetland News for important and breaking news.
You can unsubscribe at any time.

Audience Survey for Shetland News

Tell us what you think and win £100!

This survey is run by a UK charity, the Public Interest News Foundation. We exist to support independent news providers.

Your answers will power important research. We will share aggregated and anonymous answers with your news provider. And we will produce an overarching UK-wide report, which will be available on our website.

To enter the £100 prize draw, complete the survey and enter your email at the end.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Have you considered becoming a member of Shetland News?

If you appreciate what we do and feel strongly about impartial local journalism, then please consider paying for membership and get the following features and services: -

  • Remove non-local ads;
  • Bookmark posts to read later;
  • Exclusive curated weekly newsletter;
  • Hide membership messages;
  • Comments open for discussion.